Violence in Schools: Brainstorming

I decided to do violence in schools. I'm not sure I can write a whole six pages...but I'm planning on doing some more research to get some background information. Violence in schools is prevalent in today's society. Deadly violence within schools struck fear in the public and particularly school-age youth across the nation. Starting in 1989, there has been an increase in school violence, ranging from verbal harassment, threats of harm, and violent crime. Public opinion is one of concern, especially over the recent school shootings in the past several years. A proposed solution to this could be increased education about bullying and school violence, touring speakers whose hardships have been the result of school violence, and so on. I think if school violence education is more prevalent, then it will raise awareness amongst all school levels and decline.

3 comments:

Kristen W said...

Hey I think your proposal argument is a really good one. I think that this is a really big problem these days. Bullying can lead to a lot of problems that children are not aware of. I think you could talk a lot about how bullying affects children and what happens to them mentally which causes them to commit these acts of violence. Some solutions that you mentioned like schools providing more classes for violence awareness in school is a good idea. I was also thinking that maybe you could talk about ways that teachers and parents could handle it. I know that they are not always around when bullying occurs but if they learn signs of depressed and potentially violent children or ways they could prevent chilren from being in situations of bullying could really help!

Anonymous said...

I think that this is a great topic and something that needs to be implemented more into the school systems because it's becoming even more prevalent especially among young teenagers. I think that the research would be interesting and you could use examples from incidents like the Columbine shooting or others around the country. You might have to include an extensive layout of the program, so that might fill your six pages. :)

Blair said...

I think that providing classes for bullying and violence awareness in schools is a good idea, but i think that bringing in speakers with first hand experience and motivating stories is a better one. I only say this because I know health class was always a joke, and even though we were taught repeatedly about the negative effects of drugs and alcohol, there were always people drinking and doing drugs every weekend, but I know when we had speakers talk about their hardships with drugs or a bad drunk driving accident that all the students were reached more. Happy writing!