Formal Response to Mark Edmundon's Essay

I wanted to post some of the issues I had with writing my formal response to Mark Edmundson's essay...just a response and hoping I can sort them out before the next formal response (: In the beginning, it was definately obvious to me that I agreed with what he was saying. It's apparent around JMU, seeing the brochures and website as a senior in high school that it was very aimed towards a consumerist culture. I couldn't quite grasp the actual assignment until halfway through my first draft...it was hard for me to consider both the rhetorical aspects and Edmundson's views at the same time. I ended up having to separate them and approach them separately then combine them for the final product. Another big problem I had was providing enough examples to support my claims, which ironically was what I was arguing Edmundson does very well throughout his essay. Overall, I felt like drafting and redrafting, as well as making outlines and webs helped me organize my thoughts, because there was so much in this essay and assignment to consider.

No comments: